There are so many BBW events all over the country. However, most people don’t live in Las Vegas, New York, or the other destination cities where events are held. Traveling by airplane can be more traumatic than swimsuit shopping. Many people choose not to fly because of the embarrassment that can be incurred. There are some airlines that will even charge you for an extra seat. Due to their size, they have prohibited people from boarding or kicked people off of planes because they couldn’t be accommodated. Being humiliated is one of the worst experiences you go through in life. As a person of size, you get to experience it more often than others. There are tips to traveling that should make your life less stressful.
1. If you have been asked to buy an extra seat in the past, then there is a good chance they will ask again. Fly with other BBW’s and share the cost of a third seat between the two of you. This gives you both more space and cuts the cost of the extra seat.
2. Choose a flight time that is later in the night or a red eye. There is a better chance of the plane not being full at that time.
3. Flying first class is definitely more comfortable, but who can afford that. So, economy here we come. When you make your reservation, select a seat in the back row of the plane. Many airlines leave these open as “jump seats” to accommodate traveling airline employees. Select either a window or aisle seat. The window seat allows you to angle your body slightly to give you some extra breathing room.
4. Arrive for your flight a couple hours early. Get to the gate agent right away. This allows the agent to see you are plus size and they can assess the situation better. Check on the fullness of the flight. You can ask them to seat you next to an empty seat. (Be nice and smile with the agent. Try not to be defensive. People are willing to help you more, when you kill them with kindness.)
5. It’s a good idea to be included in the pre-boarding. There are less people on the plane which allows you to maneuver better. Many people need a seat belt extender. Ask the attendant for one as you’re boarding the plane. This way you don’t have to use the call button and ask in front of everyone seated around you.
Whether you’re traveling to one of the fantastic BBW events or going home to see the family, there are always going to be situations out of your control. Hopefully, these tips will help cut down on the stress of traveling.
Return to the Curvy Angle blog for plus size women.
Shop all kinds of plus size lingerie at AboutCurves.